Friday, December 18, 2009

Random Thoughts



1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss.


I'm not much of a gingerbread fan, but have had it with some kind of syrup on top and whipped topping and that is pretty good.  I enjoy looking at gingerbread houses, but I am NOT a person who enjoys doing fine detail, crafty type work.  A colleague suggested doing crafts with the kids on Wednesday and I was plotting how I could be sick that day!

2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family?

We live in the community my husband grew up in and has been home now for almost thirty years.  I love it that my kids live close to us.  My parents are three hours away, so not so far. 

3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed?

Buddy the Elf - every once in a while he makes an appearance at our school.

4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life?

I would love to answer this, but my movie watching is really limited, so I will have to pass. 

5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of?

I love all Christmas music and have been listening to it on Pandora.  At our high school's program, I look forward to a couple, "Light up the Tree" where the kids have different colors of flashlights, and "Come Let Us Worship the King". 

6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmastime?

The kids at school have organized a food drive. I like to see the kids be proud of giving and it helps the local food pantry.

7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?"

I will save my being upset over something bigger than this issue.  Isn't the X a symbol of Christ?  Happy Holidays is fine - encompasses New Year's too.  

8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month?

The middle school program was the day before Thanksgiving break because in the past we have had bad luck with it being cancelled on a snow day.  There was the church adult cantata, and the children's program this Sunday.  The middle school will attend the high school performance on Friday afternoon, then I will probably go back on Sunday afternoon for the public performance.  We are lucky to have such a nice program with the art department also doing a fantastic job with the set.

9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality?

No, too much traveling to do for assorted family  members.  We have already had a pretty good snow here with a lot still on the ground.

10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice.

One present I remember was a majorette costume when I was about 8-10?  I was disappointed that the go-go boots that were in the picture were actually just slips to pull over shoes.  But the costume was great.  My sisters and I used to study the Christmas catalogues in detail.  This outfit really caught my eye. 

11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month?

I think two.  We still need one more white elephant gift for Saturday.

12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas?

It is hard to not get caught up in all the buying and busyness.  I mostly look forward to getting together with family.  I always tried to center Christmas around church when the kids were little and have nativity sets and the advent wreath as prominate decoration in the house.  I think it would be hard if you didn't go to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment