Monday, December 21, 2009

Ornament #5





When I hang this ornament on the tree every year, it is bitter sweet.  I made this snowman at my grandma's house the weekend a friend was killed in a car accident.  I was a senior and had gone to Norwich for a girl's church retreat while the rest of my family went to Manhattan to a ballgame and to see my sister.  I could have stayed at home by myself but decided instead to spend the time with my grandparents.  When I got to their house, my grandma told me that Kathy had been killed in a car accident after dropping another friend off at her house on Friday night.  We had only thirteen girls in our class, and she had a brother in our class, so it was a hard time for all of us.  I think my grandma was trying to keep me busy Sunday afternoon and got out this kit to make Christmas ornaments.  I am not usually very crafty, but it did pass the time that day.  In retrospect, I am glad that I have it.  Each year as I hang it, I am reminded of her short time here and how quickly life can change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment