Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wed. Randomness



1.  Please share one memory of your high school graduation. Pics would be great!

One of my goals for the summer is to get a new printer/scanner/copier so I can scan old pictures, and believe me, pictures of my high school graduation are old.   I don't think the actual graduation was too exciting, but early the next morning, our class left for Texas on a class trip.  There were 33 or so who graduated in my class and probably 28 went on the trip.  The junior class ran the concession stand at ballgames and earned money for the trip and prom.  We also sold magazines, and in a stroke of a bright idea, light bulbs.  We had chartered a bus instead of taking a school bus which was great.  The boys wanted to go to a resort like place and stay, and the girls wanted to see sites, so we compromised by spending a few days at a run down resort outside of Austin.  Then we spent time in the Dallas area.  It was a fun time and we had great sponsors. 


2. What is one "emergency use" item you keep in your vehicle at all times?

My old sleeping bag from junior high.  It works great to cover up with or as a blanket for a picnic.
3. In your region, do you celebrate graduation open houses? Addendum: (If so,) how many open houses/bridal showers/weddings are on your upcoming events calendar?

Graduates in our area have open houses which can be a cake and punch reception or a full meal.  For our kids, we had a meal either Saturday or Sunday evening.  After my high school graduation, my grandparents went to our house for cake and I opened presents from family and neighbors.  We have been invited to two receptions here, and then my nephew's next weekend.  I have gone to a baby shower, invited to a bridal shower, and will attend another baby shower soon.  We have been invited to two weddings this summer.

4. Tell me one truth you believe about motherhood.
Just because they are grown up, there are still worries.  And your family keeps getting bigger with more people to be concerned about.  I will never forget a lady told me once, "Little kids, little problems.  Big kids, big problems." 

5. What was the last thing you broke?
Probably a sewing machine needle at school.  I went temporarily insane and let some girls order kits to make stuffed animals.  They are doing great reading the directions, but we have to go through some pretty thick layers, and we have broken needles. 

6. On average, how many pieces of junk mail do you receive daily?
I think 2-3 a day might be an average. 

7. Do you like to shop by catalog?
Not really.  I like to look, but I hate to order, then it doesn't fit, then I have to send it back. 


8. Is lawn maintenance at your house a "his job," a "her job" or "his/her job" or "that's why we have teenagers" job?
We both mow, but Kyle does the fertilizing, reseeding, setting the sprinkler system, etc.  When we were on the farm, it was definitely a "girl" job, because the guys were working long hours in the summer.  Ask Blake about the time he told me it was a girl job.


9. Which room would you like to redecorate in your home?
At some time, I would like new counters in my kitchen.   We should also probably take the paper off the walls in the living room, but that will be a big job that I might hire out.  I would also like to get rid of our popcorn ceiling, but I don't want to live through the mess.


10. Do you read a newspaper regularly, or do you read most of your news on line?
I take the Salina journal and read the Hutch news and the Pratt Tribune on line regularly.
11. Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
I believe you can make something good happen out of something, but I don't know that it happened so you would change.
12. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
Interesting question I guess.  I am a rule follower, so I will say doing things right.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely remember saying that. Then I remember Dad telling me, "even if it IS a girl job, you can't tell your mother that!"

    ReplyDelete