Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo


Today is Cinco de Mayo, and I knew nothing about the holiday, so I looked it up which means reading  Wikipedia but they haven't steered me too wrong yet.  I found out the day celebrates the unlikely victory of the Mexican army over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.  I also found out the holiday is only regionally celebrated in Mexico in the state of Puebla and really more of a holiday in the US.  Reading a little further I found that the battle started because Mexico decided not to pay back their debt to France and the French people took exception to not being paid.  Can't say as I blame them. 

My actual experience in Mexico is pretty limited.  When I was about ten, my family drove to California for a vacation and we visitied Tijuana.  My parents wouldn't let us eat there, so my biggest memory is starving in Mexico.  

We do like Mexican food, so here is my favorite salsa recipe.

1 can black eyed peas
1 can black beans
1 can corn - drained
1 can diced petite tomatoes
1 4-oz. can chopped jalepenos -( I never can find this so I cut up some from a bigger jar.)
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 c. Zesty Italian dressing.

Combine all ingredients and let marinate for a few hours. 

Enjoy the day!

1 comment:

  1. I remember being starving AND dying of thirst. I will try the salsa recipe - ole!

    ReplyDelete