Thursday, June 16, 2011

Recent Reads

Summer is a time to read, so I thought I would share what I have read or am reading this week.

Tamara loaned me this from another friend.  It is the book assigned to incoming KSU freshmen to read.  Last year it was The Hunger Games, which I loved.  The idea is that they will all read this book and it will be referred to in various classes throughout the campus.  This book is about a Syrian Muslim businessman in New Orleans who stays during Hurricane Katrina and is met with atrocities from the military brought in to help and from local law enforcement.  He is put in jail but eventually gets out.  I guess it may make for some interesting discussion in different college classes.  I am not sure it is representative of all situations during the hurricane. 


This is a fast read about a mom and daughter who drive from Wyoming to the east coast to drop her off at what appears to be an unnamed Ivy Leagues school.  It is a quick read and interesting for mom's experiencing letting go of children and finding a new direction.
I am not a Paula Deen fan, but saw this at the library and decided to read it.  She comes from poverty and suffered from agoraphobia during her sons' childhood.  When we were in Savannah, we didn't eat at her restaurant, but now I wish we had.  If I remember right, she started her restaurant in downtown Savannah in 1996 borrowing money from an aunt to get a loan to fix up the building.  There are a few recipes throughout which involve a lot of butter, cream, and frying in Crisco.  It is easier to eat that at a restaurant than to feel healthy about fixing it in your own home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment